Thursday, February 16, 2012

Whitney.

When I saw AP's confirmation of Whitney's death, I sunk into my couch, flipped to CNN and was paralyzed by an indescribable heaviness for the next couple of hours last Saturday night.

Some of you scoff at me. Some of you are disgusted that Whitney Houston is getting so much coverage, especially when there are other pressing issues that need to be brought to everyone's attention (i.e., human trafficking; the suffering of our impoverished neighbors; the hell our troops are going through in Afghanistan). I understand that.

But I also know what I'm feeling, and I know its source; God has given me a heart for the downtrodden, lonely, struggling, tortured souls. I connect with them. I grieve with them. I hurt for them. Ache for them.

Whitney Houston was one of those souls. Her struggles were real, and her wealth couldn't heal it. Her wealth wasn't the solution to her problems, and people who want to act like it was are ignorant.

Imagine having something define you, be the source of your perceived value and make you feel like you're worthy. Now imagine that being taken away, if not completely, partially. What would you do? You'd most likely crumble.
Whitney's voice defined her.  Her voice gave her fame. And when she became choked by the harsh grip of addiction and the searing pain of rejection, the quality of her gift consequently and gradually diminished. Devastation tore at her soul.

I've loved Whitney since I first heard her and understood what divine talent sounded like. The more I saw her struggle, the more I loved her.
My heart absolutely breaks for her daughter. I pray God holds her tightly and soothes her aching, sliced heart and soul.

The interview with Oprah and Whitney on OWN is beautiful. I undoubtedly know she is with the One I love most. She finally is experiencing unconditional love for who she is, not what she can do.

I'll see you one day, Whitney. I'm so thankful you're in a Place where none of your haters can be heard. Thank you for sharing yourself with us. You're missed.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker