I'm going to do a gratitude blog this year and write about something I'm grateful for each day of this month.
My first entry may be kind of surprising because I'm going to write about how thankful I am for the friends in my life who've failed to show up and be loyal. And I say that with almost no bitterness (I have some bitterness because I'm human) because I really am thankful for the lessons I've learned through them.
When it seems like you've lost a friendship, it really gives you pause and moments of reflection. I've learned boundaries -- it's healthy and wise to have them. My love has been challenged and hopefully strengthened as I've learned to maintain love for people who are imperfect, just like myself.
I believe some people in our lives are brought in for seasons -- they're here for a purpose and are ushered out of our lives when that purpose is fulfilled. Because I believe this, it becomes easier not to be bitter towards those who seemingly walk out of my life. There's a lesson in everything.
I'm mostly grateful for the contrast these people provide to those who choose to love me unconditionally and remain beside me.
Thank you for the pain you've caused; it's reminded me that I'm fragile and alive. There's beauty in that.
Thank you for the introspection you've encouraged as you gave me a chance to question myself.
Thank you for strengthening my relationship with God as you've given me opportunities to ask for the strength to forgive, refrain from judgment, learn how to love and let go. I love Him more because of it.
Thank you for being my teacher.
Thursday, November 01, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Gosh, I just totally love you and your wisdom. Oh, to have had a drop of that at your age.
Post a Comment